Artificial Intelligence used to be a fictive narrative from Isaac Asimov’s novels and futuristic films. Today it’s 2019, and AI is no longer just a product of imagination.
Let’s take a look at the world’s favorite futuristic movies.
Tablets from 2001: A Space Odyssey?
We already have them in every household.
Voice-controlled light switch from Demolition Man?
These can be easily found on Amazon and even your local Home Depot.
J.A.R.V.I.S from Iron Man?
Thanks to the revolutionary invention of voice-controlled assistants, now you can have your own J.A.R.V.I.S. at home (but it can’t build you an Iron Man suit yet).
Impact of the AI
AI is gaining popularity in many industries. It’s changing travel industry and retail industry, and AI-powered devices have invaded our houses as well, turning them into smart homes.
More and more people also have an opportunity to get their hands on AI-powered home solutions. For instance, TechCrunch claims that 47.3 million Americans already have access to a smart speaker, like Amazon Alexa or Google Home. This means that ¼ of the U.S. population actively uses this AI-powered device, and the number of users keeps growing.
What are other AI-powered devices that can turn your house into a smart home?
Let’s take a look at the best devices with AI, other than smart speakers.
1. Home Security
Security cameras aren’t something new to the average consumer but they can be quite costly. Instead, thanks to the AI-powered face recognition feature as well as cloud storage, home security has become more efficient and less expensive.
Modern AI-powered home security systems include:
- A professional home monitoring kit. AI-powered home security systems have installed wireless sensors that are usually paired with another device (like your smartphone) to send you a notification if they register a face that hasn’t been included to the cloud storage by the facial recognition system.
- Compatibility with other devices. Modern home security systems can synchronize with and control other devices in your home, often including appliances and speakers. By doing so, home security systems can manipulate these devices in case they get stolen.
- Protocol support. AI allowed the manufacturers of smart home security systems to expand the compatibility of the security devices with almost all smart home protocols, including Bluetooth LE, Z-Wave, and Kidde.
Thanks to the rapid development of Artificial Intelligence, home security systems have become more advanced, introducing more and more features to the owners.
Currently, the most popular AI-powered home security solutions on the market are Wink Lookout Smart Security and Abode iota All-in-One Security Kit. These solutions include smart cameras with face recognition with Google Assistant and a smartphone app that synchronizes with the security system.
2. Energy Efficiency
Thanks to AI, smart lighting has become a thing that not only adds a new cool feature to your house but effectively lowers your energy consumption.
Smart lighting includes smart light bulbs, a hand controller and a feature that connects your smart lighting to a home assistant. Thus, due to AI-powered voice recognition, you can dim the lights in your house. Futuristic, isn’t it?
Businesses benefit from smart lighting as well. An international real estate company Flatfy has reportedly reduced their expenses on energy by 40% after installing smart lighting system in their 24-hour customer support office. Thus, this AI-powered feature is worth every penny of your investment.
Smart lighting systems include the following beneficial features:
- A scheduled timer. With this feature, you get an opportunity to switch your lights on and off whenever you want.
- Voice control. Smart lighting has a feature that integrates with a home assistance that is tight to the voices of your household members. Thus, you can control the lights in every room of your house with a simple command.
- Motion sensors. Some smart lighting systems are also controlled by movement detectors. As soon as you enter the room or leave it, the lights react according to your movement.
The best AI-powered smart lighting solution on the market is Philips Hue. This kit includes smart bulbs, as well as a Hue Bridge that connects you to your devices, like your smartphone or Amazon Alexa.
3. Climate Control
Heating costs are among the highest expenses in every household. But AI got you covered with smart climate control. AC adjustments, as well as smart home climate control systems, can help you adjust heating in your house even remotely.
AI-powered thermostats include the following features:
- A C-Wire kit. This adapter allows you to connect the thermostat to every room in your house.
- Machine learning feature. A smart thermostat learns from its owners. This means that you set characteristics to your thermostat and, thanks to cloud-based storage, it adjusts itself according to your preferences to keep you comfortable.
- Home Assistant integration. Smart climate control systems connect to home assistants like Alexa. This allows you to control the thermostat not only via your app but with your voice as well.
One of the best smart thermostats on the market, The Simple Thermostat, is Energy-star certified, meaning that this smart climate control system will reduce your heating expenses no matter, in which climate zone you live.
Artificial Intelligence has introduced so many new devices to turn your house into a smart home. Although these solutions can be costly, the features that they offer will save a lot of your money in the long run.
With AI, the future is already here. What do you think of AI-powered home solutions? Do you have experience using them? Share your experience with us in the comments!
Kate Khom is a passionate writer who likes sharing her thoughts and experience with the readers. Currently, Kate works as a digital marketing specialist. She likes everything related to traveling and new countries.
You can check her website Flatfy